The SU are excited to announce the launch of our Connecting the Dots Panel series, in collaboration with RNCM Staff. Connecting the Dots (CTD) was an initiative created in Autumn 2020 to support our 2020 graduates and beyond, and you will be able to read more about the background of the project on our CTD Page (coming soon when DeFreshers//Re-unite organisation is over!) For now, read on to find out about what the panel series is for, who is involved and what the theme of the first panel is!
What’s it all about
We’ve created these panels for a few reasons:
- It’s a great way to delve further into what the music industry has to offer – we’re training in a performance degree, but performing isn’t the only way to make a living as a musician!
- It’s an opportunity for all students to ask questions and get to know more about each job. We will be able to learn more about what skills are involved in different lines of work, and whether the jobs will be suitable for our own unique skillsets and experiences.
- It will keep building on our connections and strengthen the RNCM community. Everyone involved in the series is part of the RNCM, and having a greater understanding of their roles will help us to understand how the college runs and how we are a part of it!
Who is involved
Staff from all over the college have volunteered to contribute to Connecting the Dots. They have profiles on RNCM Connect (https://rncmconnect.com/groups/13/feed) which detail their career highlights, memorable moments and relevant skills, and we will keep updating and adding new profiles as they come in. A snapshot of different roles include:
- Orchestral Management
- Head of School
- Senior Lecturer
- Senior Development manager
- Marketing and recruitment
- Board of Governors members
There are, of course, LOADS more jobs and areas within the college. If you can’t see something that you’re interested in, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will try and create the pathway for you to learn more!
We are in the process of nailing down all the dates for our panels, but for now, get June 10th in your diary…
Orchestra’s & Ensembles Q&A
Thursday 10th June, 4pm. Live on the RNCM Students’ Union Facebook page.
Join Charlotte Ferry, Amy Gordon and Tom Goddard as they talk all about their careers in Orchestral Management and librarianship. They will introduce you to their roles, give insights into their career with highlights and memorable moments, and answer any questions you throw at them (within reason).
Charlotte is part of the Connecting the Dots team, which is what makes the O&E panel so fitting to be the first one in the series. She’s keen to help build clearer paths for students from studying into work, and break down any pre-conceived ideas of what ‘other’ music industry jobs entail.
We’re so excited to be kicking this series off and we can’t wait to announce the other panels over the next few days!
Looking forward to seeing your questions on Thursday! 🤓